About Tesla Motors:
Tesla Motors is a fast-moving and constantly-innovating company operating manufacturing locations in the San Francisco Bay Area, the Central Valley, and Reno. We design and manufacture advanced electric vehicles, battery packs, and drive systems that are changing the future of transportation. We are building technically strong, fast-moving teams that pride themselves on superior execution.
Senior Technical Writer
Quality Systems and Data Science
Tesla is looking for a highly motivated and dedicated technical writer to join our Quality systems documentation team. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to building world class Tesla products. Quality Engineering at Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced group where tasks and responsibilities have a direct and instantaneous impact on the manufacturing process and our products.
The ideal candidate takes pride in hands-on, detailed-oriented work, analytic ability, and organizational skills. The candidate appreciates an environment where individuals carry tremendous amount of responsibility, and where superior work is encouraged and rewarded, and. The ideal candidate is enthusiastic about working in an environment where innovation and learning are a daily occurrence.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Technical Writer will work with engineers, managers, project leads, and other technical writers within a mechanical/hardware-based manufacturing environment to document processes, equipment operation, and product specifications. The writer will use solid technical writing concepts and a variety of information capture tools to create concise, targeted documentation that can be implemented quickly and seamlessly into our 24-hour manufacturing process. The writer will work with detailed specification information involving mathematical precision and conversion. The writer will assist and/or lead the department’s continuous effort of product and process improvement in a continually changing, hierarchically flat organization.
Specific duties include:
• Compose concise and targeted technical and instructional documents about factory topics using a variety of authoring tools, including XML-based tools.
• Adherence to consistent style and formatting guidelines defined by company and department standards.
• Editing, revising, and converting source content from a variety of sources.
• Interfacing and interacting with executives, managers, engineers, line-side supervisors, and manufacturing associates.
• Work with mechanical drawings and CAD output.
• Managing document lifecycle flow.
• Managing multiple projects of various length and complexity.
• Taking active part in developing department goals.
• Presenting information and coordinating meetings.
Skills and Experience:
• Strong Technical Writing skills—must be a writer first and foremost
• Exemplary verbal and written communication skills, with a proficiency in English grammar, spelling and punctuation
• Mechanical, hardware, or manufacturing writing experience
• Proficiency in structured topic-based (DITA) technical writing is a must
• Proficiency in Oxygen XML editor or equivalent authoring tool is a must
• Expertise using Atlassian products such as JIRA, confluence, etc.
• Proficiency using git SourceTree
• Experience with HTML files
• Expertise with Microsoft Office Suite
• Demonstrable experience creating effective instructional task-based documentation
• Ability to create, edit, and manage documents with a large amount of numbers-based specification information
• Excellent understanding of document lifecycle and version management/control
• Interview and presentation skills
• Ability to translate verbal information into clearly written procedures
• Excellent still and motion photography capture and editing abilities
• Multitasking—must be able to work under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines
• Excellent listening and observation skills.
• Well organized with meticulous attention to detail.
• Experience reading and interpreting mechanical drawings a plus
• Spanish-speaking a plus
• AA or BA Degree in technical writing or equivalent writing degree
• 5-7 years technical writing experience