This individual will be responsible for authoring technical content. Technical content is developed through research and analysis of engineering documents and consultation with subject matter experts and cross-functional teams at all levels of the organization. This role requires a high level of technical aptitude and the ability to turn technical concepts into clear and concise documentation such as installation, operating and maintenance manuals, product catalogs, and other technical documentation as needed.
Location: West Bridgewater, MA
What you will do:
The successful candidate will develop a robust product understanding via interpreting engineering change notices (ECN), gaining hands-on experience with Rexa products, and interacting with engineering, service, training, product management and customer support personnel. The technical writer is not expected to have graphic design skills as this function is available within the company.
He/she will aggregate technical data and develop technical manuals and procedures through document review, interviews, production observations and if required on-site end-user visits. This position supports equally; the marketing department developing forward-looking sales and support content; the customer service group (CSG) developing aftermarket support documents and manuals; the sales and aftermarket training groups developing internal and external training material; and production, developing manufacturing process instructions. He/she will play a lead role in the digital transformation efforts in regard to customer-facing content and lead the Rexa drive to produce best-in-class content used in the installation, operation, troubleshooting, repair and specification of REXA products.
- Organize available data, write technical content including but not limited to:
- Installation, Operating and Maintenance (IOM) Manuals
- Troubleshooting and Repair (TS&R) Manuals
- Product Bulletins
- Service & Warranty Notifications
- Training documentation
- Company presentations (supporting role)
- Technical articles (supporting role)
- Manufacturing Instructions (supporting role)
- Determine illustration needs and recommend content to graphics designer.
- Proofing and editing technical content from other writers for conformance to style and format.
- Schedule and conduct review meetings for approval of new or revised publications before final version is released.
- Development of formal document style guides.
- Lead efforts to proof read the authored content from CSG, Engineering and other subject matter experts and revise content based on feedback
- Develop deep understanding of product functions to communicate user instructions
- Assemble and disassemble mechanical components and document processes.
- Operate or witness operation of products including mechanical aspects and electronics (software) to produce standard and customized technical manuals.
- Research engineering drawings; ECNs, blueprints; electrical, hydraulic, and/or pneumatic schematics; manufacturing operating procedures; applicable industry standards; other internal and external documents; interviews with engineers, service technicians, assemblers; attend order kick-off meetings; and coordination with third-party manufacturers and suppliers as used for information regarding equipment installation and removal, assembly and disassembly, maintenance, adjustments, repairs and lubrication.
- Modify engineering terms, jargon, and complex principles into language that is technically accurate, yet easily understood by persons without specialized education.
- Help create content of products, components, processes and procedures related to pictures and videos to provide greater understanding.
- Edit final documents including those prepared by other team members based on review comments to confirm that format, spelling, grammar, punctuation, style and reading comprehension level are in accordance with published standards.
- Project manage selected third-party vendors in the performance of projects to ensure adherence to the agreed to SOW, accuracy of work, project budget, and timely completion.
- Perform other work-related tasks as assigned.
- Evaluate impact of engineering change notices on existing technical documentation or need for new documentation that addresses certain product functions and/or specifications.
- Develop content in alternative media forms for maximum usability, with consistent voice across all documentation.
- Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, technical communication, or professional writing with strong technical aptitudeand experience or; degree in Engineering, Technical Communications and related job or military experience.
- 3+ years of technical writing experience including gathering and assessing technical information to create and update user documentation in compliance with engineering input, best practices, and department standards
- Experience working with technical products required; experience in industrial valve, actuator, flow control or related industries is preferred.
- Experience with CAD tools such as Solidworks Composer desired (employee will be instrumental in defining the authoring tools for Rexa).
- Proficiency with authoring and desktop publishing tools, such as MS Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience translating highly technical concepts into understandable content for the end user.
Skills, Knowledge & Attributes:
- Ability to quickly learn and understand complex subject matter
- Understanding of bill of materials, engineering change notices, and engineering drawings required.
- Superb written communication skills, with a keen eye for detail
- Self-driven professional with ability to handle multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Ability to travel >10%
Equal Opportunity - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled