Amazon Web Services, a cloud computing company, is looking for freelance editors for an eight-week project doing proofreading and light copyediting on PowerPoint presentations. Candidates must have experience editing in PowerPoint and their own PC laptop.
The project kicks off in early October and goes through the first week of December. It involves one week of training remotely part-time, six weeks of working remotely with a team of copyeditors/proofreaders full-time, and one week of working onsite at a conference in Las Vegas full-time. Travel expenses and meals during the event are covered. Approximately 30-40 hours per week.
Please apply only if you can travel and be onsite in Las Vegas and can commit to the following timeline:
Wednesday, Oct. 9–Thursday, Oct. 17: Training part-time (remote) Friday, Oct. 18–Wednesday, Nov. 27: Light copyediting and proofreading full-time (remote) Friday, Nov. 29: Travel to Las Vegas Saturday, Nov. 30: Onsite training Sunday, Dec. 1–Thursday, Dec. 5 or Friday, Dec. 6: Onsite copyediting and proofreading full-time
You will be expected to use your own Windows PC or laptop (not a Mac) for the preconference work, and you will be provided a laptop to work on when you arrive onsite.
To be considered for the role, you must fully commit to the above dates and to working onsite in Las Vegas during the conference. Note the proximity of these dates to the Thanksgiving holiday on November 28.
This is a fast-paced project. You will be expected to learn and apply the company’s style, branding, service names, and legal compliance requirements. Scheduled working hours in Las Vegas will vary from day to day, requiring some flexibility.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Proofreading and copyediting PowerPoint presentations for accurate branding, grammar, spelling, formatting, usage, potential legal issues, and tone
• Ensuring that the presentations’ copy adheres to the provided style and legal requirements and is free of typos and errors • Completing preconference and onsite project training and attending all scheduled team calls (remote) using Amazon Chime
• Provide onsite copyediting and proofreading services for up to six days in Las Vegas in a fast-paced environment, working directly with presenters
Required skills and experience include: • At least five years of full-time professional copyediting experience in a fast-paced environment
• Strong copyediting skills
• Strong proofreading skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Proficiency with The Chicago Manual of Style
• Demonstrated ability to manage large volumes of work with minimal oversight and under tight deadlines
• Experience with performing legal compliance reviews on content
• Strong knowledge of English grammar
• The ability to learn and work quickly with high accuracy
• Experience and comfort working with highly technical content
Required hardware and software
• Fluency with the Microsoft Office Suite, especially PowerPoint
• Office 2013 or higher
• A good, reliable internet connection
• A Windows PC or laptop
This is a 1099 independent contractor role.
If you are interested, are able to fulfill the required responsibilities, can commit to the project dates, and have the necessary skills, experience, software, and hardware, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Conference copyeditor/proofreader 2019.” Attach your résumé with three references and include a link to your LinkedIn profile if available. All candidates will be asked to complete up to three editing tests. No phone calls, please