Splice Machine, an AI predictive platform startup company, is hiring a Senior Technical Writer to develop and maintain the documentation for the Splice Machine Product family. Work from anywhere in the US.
Splice Machine is a scalable SQL database that enables companies to modernize their legacy and custom applications to be agile, data-rich, and intelligent – all without re-writes. Splice Machine not only reduces database licensing costs but also enable the applications to add new data sources at a massive scale. Splice Machine enables enterprises to unify analytics and machine learning that used to be on separate platforms to be native to the application thereby reducing ETL latency and infrastructure costs. The Splice Machine data platform can be deployed on-premise or as a fully-managed cloud service.
Splice Machine’s CEO/ Co-Founder, Monte Zweben, is a serial entrepreneur in AI, selling his first company, Red Pepper, to Peoplesoft/ Oracle for $225M and taking his second company Blue Martini, through one of the largest IPOs in the early 2000s ($2.9B). He started Splice Machine to disrupt the $30 billion traditional database market with the first open-source dual engine database and predictive platform to power Big Data, AI and Machine Learning applications.
Splice Machine has recruited a team of legendary Big Data advisors including, Roger Bamford, “Father of Oracle RAC”, Michael Franklin, former Director of AMPLab at UC Berkeley, Ken Rudin, Head of Growth and Analytics for Google Search, Andy Pavlo, Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University and Ray Lane, former COO of Oracle, to collaborate with the Splice Machine team as we blaze new trails in Big Data.
- You enjoy learning and collaborating with Product Managers, Software Engineers, and Pre/Post Sales teams to scope and define documentation projects.
- You write concise, easy-to-understand documentation that simplifies complex technical concepts into content consumable by all skill levels and roles.
- You review and edit documentation drafts contributed by peers.
- You contribute to and lead strategic documentation initiatives to enhance content and content creation.
About What You'll Do
- You will use your writing and technical skills to write clear and consistent reference documentation and tutorials on high-complexity features.
- Your goal is to help our readers successfully use Splice Machine AI Platform by developing and maintaining outstanding documentation.
- You will be responsible for the Splice Machine AI Platform across multiple versions of the product. You will regularly tackle topics such as the server API, backups and restoration, creating deployments with enterprise-grade security, and managing high availability and scalability in Splice Machine clusters.
- You will write for experienced users and those new to Splice Machine. Your work will support a global community of Splice Machine users.
- 5+ years of technical writing experience in the software industry.
- Experience writing technical documentation for developers from scratch
- Strong critical reading and writing fundamentals
- Experience with database technologies (NoSQL or RDBMS) or data warehouse technologies
- Experience with distributed systems and/or security technologies (e.g. encryption) and authentication protocols (e.g. LDAP)
- Understanding of Cloud management platforms like Cloudera
- Familiarity with Jupyter notebook systems and Machine Learning basics
- Experienced with testing and validating documentable features and concepts
Other Helpful Skills
- Understanding of Docs-as-Code approach to technical documentation
- Experience with Jekyll or another Static Site Generator
- Experience editing content in Markdown (we use the Kramdown dialect)
- Advanced CSS/SASS experience
- HTML expertise
- GitHub experience
- Experience with JIRA or a similar Agile issue/bug tracking system
- Comfort with MacOS and Linux command line use
- Ability to create and edit simple BASH shell scripts
- Experience using SSH and FTP clients for server access
Our team at Splice Machine enjoys access to the best tools available, an open and collaborative distributed work environment and a supportive culture inspiring them to do their very best. We offer great salaries, generous equity, employee health coverage, flexible time off, and an environment that gives you the flexibility to seize moments of inspiration among other perks. Splice Machine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce.