As a Top 25 Great Place to Work® recipient and a fastest growing tech company in North America according to Deloitte, You.i TV is changing the way users, buyers, and fans experience TV every day across all major consumer electronic devices from mobile phones to game consoles to connected TVs. Interested in building the future of TV?
Our Product Documentation team is growing! This is a great opportunity for a Technical Writer who wants to be part of a small, dedicated team of writers delivering one of You.i TV’s top strategic objectives: developer enablement.
You don’t have to be currently working as a writer, or have any specialized writing training. But you must be an excellent communicator with coding skills, curiosity, a desire to write, and a passion for developer experience. This position is based in Ottawa, but for the right candidate, it could be based remotely in Canada.
Role and Responsibilities
As part of a team of writers documenting all aspects of our JSX and C++ SDKs, you will:
- research, plan, write, revise, and review developer enablement materials
- create content including help topics, tutorials, training guides, migration guides, reference material, and code samples in JSX and other languages as needed
- become an expert in You.i Engine One
- work closely with software developers and other members of the product team
- be an integral part of the Agile process delivering content for regular product releases
- publish web-based documentation with each release and maintain the accuracy of published material from previous releases
- review and edit writing from peers and contributors with varying degrees of technical expertise and/or technical writing proficiency
- generate contribution guidelines and meta documentation about the docs
- assess existing documentation and monitor customer communications for areas of improvement
- bring your ideas to group discussions
- have ownership of meaningful projects
- nurture the company’s open-source documentation philosophy
- and perform other duties typical of a developer documentation expert
What you bring to the table:
3+ years in developer documentation or software development
- The ability to read and work with JSX, C++, or other OO language. Bonus points: You were a developer in a previous life.
- You know how to use git. From the command line. Rebases and merges are second nature.
- You have experience with Jekyll, Ruby, or Shopify Liquid.
- You’re familiar enough with HTML, CSS/SASS to be comfortable with basic updates.
- You can explain the pros and cons of docs as code. Better yet, you can share your experience with the practice.
- You have experience or an interest in integrated tests and automated deployment of a docs portal.
- Nice to have: experience with Doxygen or Madcap Flare.
- You’re proficient at investigation and extracting information from a variety of different groups and sources.
- You’re an expert at organizing and communicating technical information.
- You create clear and concise API documentation including reference material, guides, and tutorials.
- You have a portfolio that shows off your skills and experience. (For example: GitHub, links to published material, or a website of your own.)
- You’re curious. Game to try new technologies. Not afraid to ask questions.
- You love the technology of complex systems.
- You have empathy and want to be an advocate for your users.
- Helping people gives you purpose and satisfaction.
- You’re kind and you edit with compassion while maintaining the goal of concise, clear documentation.
- You see your projects through to completion. You’re invested in the resulting quality and usability.
- You enjoy fostering great friendships with your team members. You’re quick to come up with a good pun. You’ve already noticed at least three typos in this job posting.
- You’re able to manage competing priorities and set appropriate expectations.
What we can offer you:
- Opportunity to work with Top Tier media brands and household names
- Opportunity to work on cutting-edge technology in one of the fastest moving industries
- A environment where we care about the "whole" self demonstrated through our various health and wellness programs
- Stock options and 6 weeks of Paid Time Off
- Flexible work hours to ensure work/life balance is a top priority
The TV industry is changing at a rapid pace, with streaming video, multiple screens and over-the–top video offerings becoming the new normal, fast. That's why companies like WarnerMedia, Twitch, NBA, and A&E are turning to You.i TV to get the velocity, flexibility and reach they need in today's market
We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.