- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in technical writing, product documentation, or online publishing.
- Experience working in collaboration with software engineers on a daily basis.
- 5 years of technical writing experience.
- Experience with HTML and CSS.
- Experience in a UNIX environment.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
About the job
Technical writers plan, create, and maintain educational content as an integral part of the engineering or user experience. The content is often in the form of documentation, but may also be UI text, sample code, videos, or other educational material. Regardless of the content medium, technical writers are distinguished by their abilities to explain complex topics in a way that’s useful to their audience.
As a Technical Writer on a software engineering team, you'll create content targeted to other engineers. That audience might be third-party developers for platforms such as Android or Google Cloud, or internal engineers working on a variety of Google technology.
- Plan, create, and maintain technical documentation for internal or external engineering audiences.
- Edit, clarify, and proofread documents written by others, and coach non-writers on ways to improve their writing skills.
- Manage complex documentation projects.
- Supplement developer documentation with relevant sample code.