We have a contractor need for 1 Technical Writer as part of the Integrations team. The duration of this engagement will be 3-6 months.
Estimated Start Date: March 2021
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
The Integrations team is working on an update to Etsy’s Open API and our home for third-party developers, etsy.com/developers. We are looking to add a technical writer to this project to ensure we address one of customers biggest pain points, poorly structured and outdated documentation.
Scope of Work
- Updating the API reference docs: The team has been focused on building a sustainable workflow for generating reference documentation.
- Editing & developing documentation on Etsy.com: Specifically, the etsy.com/developers site has a lot of really helpful content (for example, explaining how inventory works) which needs refreshing. There will also be an opportunity to develop a style guide for these online documents.
- Information architecture: This includes researching and making suggestions on what content would be helpful to third-party developers, and how to prioritize this content in navigation.
- Creating internal documentation to support Etsy engineers and support agents: This includes technical guides for solving common problems which will help expand the number of customer service agents who can respond to the API queue.
- Creating quickstart guides for most common developer use cases: Many support requests could be avoided by showing examples on our developer site. Additionally, this will help grow the developer community as the team shifts to growing their audience in Q3 2021.
- 3+ years experience in writing customer-facing technical documentation
- Experience writing technical documentation for APIs
- Experience with Open APIs / developer platforms / integrations
- Developing content strategy and product copywriting
Nice to have:
- Experience with Swagger/OpenAPI Spec