About Open Strategy Partners
OSP helps technology organizations communicate the value of what they do to connect them to the people who need to know about it, and grow.
We create strategic content with our clients that is both compelling and technically accurate. To do this, we combine technical analysis, research-by-interview, and systematic, repeatable writing and editing practices. Our goal is to apply empathy, communicate with clarity, and build trust—giving perspective, context, and depth to technical stories, while keeping them free of marketing hyperbole.
- We translate complexity to business value.
- We help high-value organizations communicate effectively.
- We know Open Source.
Our clients are technology organizations — ranging from agencies and product companies to open source projects and associations to decentralized blockchains — each with unique communication needs and challenges. Many of them work with open source directly or benefit from the strategies and lessons learned from these value-generating, professional communities. We partner with them at a strategic level to create the effective communications they need to grow. For example, we help them increase the adoption of their technical solutions, strengthen their user communities, and build partner networks.
Working at Open Strategy Partners
Our mission is to create strategies and accurate, compelling communications that support business goals while applying empathy to create clarity and build trust. We help clients, for example, grow adoption of their solutions, increase sales, memberships, engagement, or partner networks, and more.
We are a human-first company. Our priority is planning and creating a fair flow of work for our team and our clients. We make our own workdays easier by focusing on repeatable, documented processes. Among many positive side effects, this means OSP delivers consistent quality that we are proud of. And we plan capacity and meet deadlines while still taking care of ourselves and our lives outside work.
We believe that we can help more people than we could ever take on as clients (and make the world a tiny bit better along the way). Therefore, we also enthusiastically teach and share our methodologies, materials, experience, and templates.
- We are human-centric and inclusive.
- We apply empathy to achieve clarity and build trust.
- We communicate to connect with others and help all of us grow.
- We ask questions to listen and learn from the answers.
- We say "yes, and ..."
- We build bridges between our values and the value we deliver.
Open Strategy Partners is based in Cologne, Germany, with team members around the globe in Hamburg, Bologna, Melbourne, Miami, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Ontario! ... and your town?
What you need to be successful in this position
- The ability to read and document code written in GoLang and Typescript. Other languages, such as Python and Rust, are a bonus.
- Experience using tools such as Docker, Postman, GraphQL, Linux, Bash, Visual Studio Code.
- Ability to use Git and write in Markdown
- Technically accurate, fluent English with a strong command of grammar, spelling, and style.
- Interview skills, including the ability to interview and work with technical and subject-matter experts and translate the results into compelling, technically accurate content.
- Analytical skills, including the ability to sort and categorize product features, connect them logically to end-user outcomes, and summarize their technical and business value within our internal toolset.
- Collaborative and independent working skills, getting client deliverables done on deadline, asking questions when you need to, supported by our team and project management.
- Proactive working and communication style. OSP is fully remote, and our most successful team members take advantage of all our communication channels to be transparent, keep themselves unblocked, and on schedule.
What you’ll do
- Your first project: The initial project involves creating end-user documentation for a blockchain-based software product. You’ll need overlap in your working schedule with client teams currently in US Eastern (UTC -5:00) and India (UTC +5:30) time zones.
- As a writer at OSP:
- Interview technical and subject-matter experts, conduct research to support technical and other marketing and communication assets.
- Collaboratively, research, draft, and write software documentation and informative and persuasive content that helps users understand the ‘why’ and the ‘how.’
- Review and copy-edit content created by other writers (clients and team members), sharing best practices, teaching, and learning with our close-knit team of professionals.
What we offer
- We are a highly collaborative, supportive team committed to a positive, diverse working culture.
- Flexible project-based work on a freelance basis. Tell us about your availability.
- We’re a distributed team; you can work with us from anywhere. Our main office is in Cologne, Germany, and current team members are in California, British Columbia, Ontario, Florida, Germany, Italy, and Australia. Our client base covers similarly diverse geography and time zones, including the United States.
- Step 0: The client project is spinning up as you read this. Apply now! :-)
- Step 1: Email Felicity today (firstname.lastname@example.org), including:
- Your CV
- Bulleted list highlighting your writing and technology experience, showing connections to the points under “What you need to be successful.”
- Writing samples: Share links or attach examples, identifying your favorite for us to prioritize.
- Your current work situation and availability: number or range of hours you’re looking for on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Step 2: Interview(s)
- We’ll find a mutually convenient time for a chat or two with us via online video conferencing.
- Step 3: Test project
- We’ll set up a paid test project with you if your writing samples and interviews point towards a good fit for both sides. The project will combine a compact orientation while creating a real client asset. Our team will be there to help you along the way.
Applications are open!
Please get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you!