About The Role
Uber Engineering has amassed a veritable treasure trove of technical documentation. As a Technical Writer, you will use your writing and technical abilities to make it easy to understand internal engineering information, such as querying, storing, and managing data. You will work with engineers, technical writers, product managers, and program managers to understand user needs.
We are looking for a Technical Writer with at least 4 years of experience writing for an engineering audience.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with engineers to produce technical documentation that other engineers trust.
- Improve existing onboarding and education processes with documentation, helping engineers contribute quickly.
- Properly organize documentation, from the layout of content on a page, to finding its proper place in the documentation taxonomy, with search optimization in mind.
- Define standards and style guidelines that help other writers and engineers. You will be a steward of quality and efficiency.
- Write high-quality, impactful technical documentation for complex subjects in the most economical manner possible.
- Improve the developer experience by testing tools, investigating pain points, and channeling feedback into the documentation pipeline.
What You’ll Need
- A minimum of 4 years of experience writing developer-facing documentation and other forms of technical content.
- Demonstrated ability to write technically accurate, concise, and thorough content.
- Demonstrated ability to independently scope out and manage writing projects.
- Established ability to learn technical concepts quickly.
- Experience writing for web, software, hardware, or cloud technologies.
- Experience creating code examples.
- Senior level candidates will also need to show leadership and coaching ability.
Bonus Points If
- You have experience with engineering security concepts, standards, and regulations.
- You have documented iOS and Android APIs.
- You have worked with and wrote documentation for REST APIs.
- You can use R or Python for data analysis and visualization.
- You are familiar with database and data warehouse concepts like ETL, schemas, and queries.
- You posses design skills and/or experience conducting user research.
About the Team
The Technology Learning Team aims to make Uber Engineering’s documentation, onboarding, and continuous education cornerstones of development through rich content that is easily discoverable.
The Technology Learning Team increases developer efficiency and productivity. We contribute to the infrastructure and development that is powering billions of trips, partnerships, and movement of people/food/things around the world. We reach out across the many software engineering teams at Uber globally to discover, assess, and prioritize technical writing and training needs.
NOTE: This role will require you to work fulltime in San Francisco, CA - We will not be reviewing candidates who need to work remotely.