We are looking for a Technical UX writer to join our team for a 1-year contract position based in Mountain View, CA (US) or Waterloo, ON (Canada).
UX writers are the voice of Google. They craft intuitive, inspiring text in graphical user interfaces on the web, on mobile, in cars -- everywhere people engage with Google. UX writers collaborate closely with product managers, designers, researchers, and others to imagine, design, test, and deliver products that are relied on by hundreds of millions of people around the globe. This role also requires that you have experience as a technical writer, as you'll be working closely with a team of engineers, and your users are also engineers.
- Write clear, concise user-interface text for web-based technical products
- Own user-facing error messaging & help documentation
- Collaborate with designers, researchers, prototypers, product managers, and engineers to define user content requirements
- Add order to the broader product mission by creating and curating writing guidelines for both the core product and integration points, and then training others as needed.
- Help improve writing tools and processes, participate in team projects, and generally lend a hand as needed to produce world-class software and hardware products
- 2 years of professional writing or editing experience
- Preference will be given to candidates with technical writing experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Meticulous grammar and proofreading skills
- Ability to juggle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Detail-oriented with strong project management skills, and a desire to move quickly and innovate on the way we communicate with our users
- Experience working with design, engineering and product management teams as part of the software development process
How to Apply
Please submit this short form as your application to the role. Note that you'll need to be signed in to your Google account to complete it since it includes a file upload section for your resume and writing samples. Please submit applications by December 20th, 2018.