Staff Technical Writer
Wind River, the global leader in device software optimization, seeks a skilled senior writer to create documentation for its VxWorks 7 Platforms. VxWorks®, the industry’s leading real-time operating system, provides a family of products that deliver all the scalability, safety, security, and virtualization capabilities our customers need to meet today’s development challenges for building intelligent, connected systems.
The successful candidate must be a highly adaptable team player who can quickly ramp up on new technologies and accomplish goals in a fast-paced Agile environment. In addition to excellent writing skills, a combination of strong technical and communication skills is a must.
- You will be an integral part of the VxWorks team, guiding the evolution of the product documentation to meet the needs of the next generation of IoT software developers.
- You will write user-centric, task-oriented documentation for development, deployment, and management of VxWorks 7 and virtualization platforms.
- You will work in DITA XML to develop new content, adapt open source content, and update existing content to enable customers to install, configure, and maintain the product.
- You will actively engage with development and test engineers to gain hands-on experience with the product in order to create content and verify tutorials / procedures.
- You will interview subject-matter experts, participate in review meetings, and collaborate with technical writers and engineers to create and update content.
- You will lead the documentation team in the agile process, identifying user stories and tasks each sprint, and reporting on progress on commitments to engineering program leadership on a weekly basis.
- 5 or more years of experience writing customer-facing documentation
- Familiarity with subject material such as embedded real-time operating systems, device drivers, board configuration, and networking protocols
- Experience with reading and understanding source code in one or more computer languages
- An understanding of computer architecture and virtualization
- Ability to organize information, learn complex concepts, and explain concepts and instructions clearly and concisely
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with colleagues across geographic locations and time zones (e.g. Europe and Asia) and flexibility in working hours to accommodate meetings with them
- Experience with DITA XML authoring, preferably using IXIASOFT CMS
- Experience using development tools to build and run software on an embedded hardware target board
- Ability to read and understand C code
- Experience working in an Agile programming environment
- Experience using Git for source management, and JIRA (or equivalent) for defect tracking
- BA, BS, or equivalent in a technical field of study (such as computer science, electrical engineering, or mathematics) or equivalent work experience