Manage 8, Hire 8, INNOVATE in a green field.
Player-Coach-Builder sought with a strong background in software developer-facing technical writing, and experience effectively leading, managing, mentoring, and scaling a documentation team. Bring your passion for making a bold impact on the overall organization-wide technical content strategy and information experience!
What You’ll Do
- Manage a fast-growing team of technical writers and drive team career growth and opportunity along a strong developer-focused trajectory.
- Own and define the team’s hiring and recruitment model. Scale and develop the team.
- Provide leadership, direction, and mentorship for a team of senior and junior writers.
- Streamline and improve the documentation platform, existing toolchain, and overall infrastructure of content authoring and publishing process at Uber.
- Work with the senior management to set the strategic vision and roadmap for what role documentation plays in the larger content strategy.
- Be accountable for department OKRs and KPIs of the team and its output on an ongoing basis.
- Define and encourage the team to follow a consistent writing style, standards, and guidelines across various information products.
- Respond to documentation feedback from internal stakeholders, surveys, and other feedback channels.
- Oversee and lead the internal technical product documentation geared towards Uber’s designing content for internal engineering teams in order to drive more expedient and efficient onboarding of internal members.
- Define and drive a vision of Technical Writing team.
- Take proactive steps to identify and propose changes to improve team processes.
- Collaborate with designers, researchers, product managers, data scientists, and engineers to define requirements, and manage projects and stakeholders.
- Ensure the team is constantly aware of upcoming content needs and requirements by continually and proactively gathering information from stakeholders of new documentation requirements and shifting priorities.
- Define best practices, team processes, and content strategy principles that establish the highest standard in content quality of developer documentation at Uber.
- Manage the team’s “big picture efforts” as well as tactical execution to drive cohesive product and content experience.
- Improve writing tools and processes.
- Analyze data to determine, recommend, and plan new processes in the technical writing function to drive quality and efficiencies.
What You’ll Need
- BA/BS degree or proven equivalent practical experience.
- Experience leading and globally distributed writing teams in an Agile development environment.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in technical writing.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in managing a team of at least 10 technical writers - both senior and junior.
- 2+ years managing geographically-distributed teams.
- Demonstrated expertise in technical writing for a global audience.
- Strong verbal and written communication, negotiation and partnering skills.
- Ability to evaluate and estimate requests from engineering teams, and effectively prioritize and load-balance the work.
- Experience working in fast-paced environments which require high productivity.
- Bold, creative problem-solving abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, hire, coach, develop, mentor, inspire, and grow excellent teams.
- Experience working with HR business partners in the interests of the team.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and teach complex technical concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to write prolifically.
- Passion for improving the efficiency and effectivity of engineers through documentation and training materials.
- Excellent writing and editing experience with an eye for detail.
- Confluence experience
- One or more of: Sphinx, Jekyll, Gatsby, Swagger
About the Team
The Technology Learning Team aims to make Uber Engineering’s documentation, onboarding, and continuous education cornerstones of development through rich content that is easily discoverable. We increase developer efficiency and productivity. We contribute to the infrastructure and development that is powering billions of trips, partnerships, and movement of people/food/things around the world. We reach out across the many software engineering teams at Uber globally to discover, assess, and prioritize technical writing and training needs.
- Works closely with engineers to produce technical documentation that other engineers trust.
- Improves existing onboarding and education processes with documentation, helping engineers contribute quicker.
- Organizes documentation, from the layout of content on a page to finding its proper place in the entire documentation taxonomy, with search optimization in mind.
- Defines standards and style guidelines that help other writers, as well as engineers, stewarding quality and efficiency.
- Writes high quality technical documentation for complex subjects in the most economical manner possible.
- Writes prolifically learns technical concepts quickly;
- Writes for mobile, web, software, hardware, cloud, and other technologies.
- Has experience using Git; creating API documentation and code examples; writing for Go, Java, Cassandra, Hadoop, React, Python, Node, and beyond.
- Has seniors who can lead and coach.