At Elastic, we have a simple goal: solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are reinventing what's possible with data and delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites 1000+ Elasticians across 30+ countries into one closely knit team, while the broader community spans over 100 countries.
We are seeking talented, technically savvy writers who can help our users understand how to implement and deploy search-centric solutions. As a writer at Elastic, you could contribute to:
- Elasticsearch - Put your knowledge of distributed systems, REST APIs, and application development to work writing about the search and analytics engine and language clients that lie at the heart of the Elastic Stack.
- Elastic Stack Features - Help users learn how to automatically detect data anomalies, discover connections in their data, and secure, manage, and monitor their Elastic Stack deployments.
- Elastic Cloud and Elastic Cloud Enterprise - Build welcoming content that makes it easy for customers to use our hosted services and solutions or orchestrate their own multi-cluster deployments.
- Observability - Create reference and UX documentation for a suite of observability products that help users gain insight into the health of their infrastructure.
- Code Search - Help developers see insights beyond the objects, functions, variables, and constants that make up their codebase.
Members of our doc guild are embedded with their engineering teams and help shape the evolution of our products and services. We care deeply about giving you ownership of what you’re working on. We believe Elastic achieves greatness when you are free to pursue your ideas and are surrounded and challenged by your peers. You are empowered to comment on anything, regardless of your role.
Does this sound like your kind of gig? Check out our docs, install and tinker with the products that interest you, and think about where you might fit in. Then, show us your writing chops. Tell us why you're interested and what you can bring to the role. Upload relevant writing samples, or provide links to your portfolio, GitHub contributions, or other publicly-available content with your application.
Writers at Elastic:
- Work side-by-side with Elastic engineers, product marketing, support, and your fellow writers to document new features, improve our existing content, and help users succeed with the entire stack.
- Follow Elastic's git-based software development process. Being comfortable using git and GitHub is essential.
- Review and edit documentation changes contributed by other Elasticians and our open source communities.
- Collaborate with other content creators at Elastic from Marketing, Support, Education, and beyond to help tell a consistent Elastic story.
We want to hear from you if you have:
- A willingness to wear a variety of hats, a desire to learn new things, and the drive to figure things out.
- 2+ years in a content development role that included writing for developers or those responsible for deploying and managing complex systems. You have written a significant amount of relevant content. Some of our open opportunities involve working more autonomously and require more experience.
- Experience writing customer-facing software documentation. You understand the craft of technical writing and how it differs from other types of writing.
- Authored content in a lightweight mark-up language such as Markdown, Asciidoc, or Wikitext.
You should also be:
- Familiar with modern web development and technologies used to build applications.
- Comfortable reading code in one or more languages.
- Happy working from the command line and able to write basic scripts and examples.
We're looking to hire team members invested in realizing the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! We'd love to expand the doc guild outside of North America. Whether you're ready to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of paid in full parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.